Thursday, April 26, 2012

sick bay one.

Today. was. rough.

Tenley has her first official real cold, and it's wearing us all down. Daddy is sick, Tenley is sick, and mommy just wants to sit in a corner and rock back and forth! Really, she's handling it well. From her perspective, I can't imagine how scary it must be to be so stuffed up and congested, with your body parts leaking, and not understand what's going on. It's hard enough to be sick as an adult when you have the ability to complain and try to fix yourself.

I digress. First sick day. Very trying on our nerves. Baby girl wants nothing to do with... anything. I keep remembering that the best thing for her is just to let her nurse nurse nurse. And so we tried. Nope. I figured I'd curl up on the couch with all my essentials in reach, and let her nurse and nap all day. Best laid plans. She refused to gift us with a nap longer than 20 minutes or so today. Which makes sense... you know, the whole not being able to breathe thing probably doesn't help one to feel secure and relaxed. But, it doesn't make it any easier when you're the parent who is tired and whose head just wants a little bit of peace and quiet.

But, we made it. Rob and I spent the day handing off back and forth, singing songs, doing crazy dances, reading books, nursing, chasing Hurley around the house (this one is good for several laughs), whatever it took to make her smile for a few seconds at a time.

It was trying, and yet, now that she's asleep, I have nothing but oodles of patience and love for her again. It's funny how we're designed to so quickly forget. Wish me luck and calmness to meet tomorrow with the same head space I have now. Because she deserves it.


0 comments: